TreeHouse: Climbing To New Sustainable Household Heights

Have you heard about this new eco-friendly focused home improvement retailer?

Mission Statement Series (3)

Interested in this Retailer?  Pin It!

Being An Environmentalist

Growing up as a Millennial I spent days upon days, years upon years in schools watching video after video of children in foreign countries wading in waters doused in chemicals.  We saw images of filth and trash lining their streets.   Images of bodies distorted and mangled from radiation and malnourishment that were burned into our souls forever.   It’s not far fetched for me then to have a very immediate change of heart when I learn the negative consequences of production factors such as Fast Fashion.

The most recent PEW survey reported that only 32% of Millennials would identify themselves as an environmentalist.  This is apparently quite a drop from the unmatchable Baby Boomer generation who lived for free love and conservation.   I too would not call myself an “environmentalist”, though eco-friendly sustainability is always a top priority in my mind.  When I picture an environmentalist, I picture a young woman who dedicates her life to standing at the docks holding a sign screaming Save The Whales, not someone who just organically lives day to day with easily obtainable economic solutions just conveniently at her finger tips.

I may not be able to identify with an “environmentalist”, but I can identify with the fact that I conserve my purchasing as much as possible, I have a strong disdain for excess packing materials, I go out of my way to dispose of my trash in the correct reciprocal, and my husband and I have #lifegoals of a completely solar powered home.  Maybe that’s not all I do, but to be honest we live in a world now that eco-sustainability is so obtainable and day to day, that the image of and “environmentalist” just doesn’t seem to fit who I am, who really any of us are.

Who is TreeHouse?

That’s where Treehouse comes in, to me they are what I envision to be an environmentalist.  People who dedicate their entire life to assuring we have those sustainable luxuries at our fingertips.  Like many green companies, Treehouse opened its doors in Austin, TX and in its short six years in business has shown so successful that they have opened their first from the ground Brick and Mortar in Dallas, TX this past weekend.  The location is an eco-friendly picture of perfection, and kept true to their cause, constructing this green wonder around a legacy oak that found the property home long before they purchased it.

What is The Secret Behind Their Success?

It is no surprise that this Home Improvement Start-up has found success in todays market.  Like we discussed in April with our JCPenney Turn Around Plan, 2/3 of US homes are 30+ years old, leading to a necessity of heavy duty updating or full on reconstructions.  In addition to the age of homes, real estate prices are on the rise, leaving Millennials whose income have not quite caught up yet to make fixer uppers their new primary focus.

On top of that, the sustainability market is huge, according to many market experts and retail big wigs anyway.  They claim that we have finally reached an age, that from Baby Boomers to Millennials we want quality and Earth friendly first, and great deals third.

Not on is the basis of the company gangbusters but the company approach is fantastic.  They prioritize education of their employees above all else  After all their sustainability expertise is what makes them stand out from Home Improvement giants Lowe’s and Home Depot.

“Retailing is like theater. The store is the stage, with scenery, lighting and music. The products are the script—each item has an interesting story. The employees are the actors who make it come alive and bring the  (2).png

Every member of the staff is educated on sustainability, from corporate number crunchers to warehouse freight workers.  They even offer great workshops on eco-friendly home improvement solutions from working with American clay to composting.  Visit their website to check out their awesome products and other educational offerings here.

I wrote this blog earlier this week, and since then there has been news of the U.S. break from the Paris Climate deal.   Remember that the power of change starts with us the citizens, doing our part at home.  So thankful for companies like TreeHouse that continue to grow, research, and innovate solutions that we as a community can utilize to care for our Earth.

Shopgirl Wants to know:

• Would you call yourself an environmentalist?
  • What do you think of this new concept?  Would you shop here?

Until next time fan boys and girls—>

screen-shot-2016-12-08-at-2-59-23-pm

InstagramTwitterFacebook.

All content of this site is property of the author.  Please do not copy or redistribute without permission.  You are free to share on social media as long as you credit the author.

ShopGirl is a 100% profit free blog, and has been since the beginning of time.   I am not paid or offered anything for my efforts, I only want to educate consumers and remind everyone of the wonders that retail can hold.

References:

27 thoughts on “TreeHouse: Climbing To New Sustainable Household Heights

1. crazyloveparent says:

I wouldn’t call myself an environmentalist, per se. Like you I imagine the girl with the “save the whales” sign as well. 🤣 However, my husband tells me I have “eco-anxiety” because I often dig through the trash to find the things the kids (or the hubs) didn’t recycle because it drives me crazy when people don’t recycle. I recycle absolutely everything I can, or I feel really guilty. I also buy organic/local when I can. Lately I’ve become convinced that my family should be eating less meat, especially red meat, not only for our health but the health of our planet. I was astounded to learn recently just how much damage raising cows for food does to our environment.

This was a great post– the Treehouse company sounds awesome! I hope they keep expanding!!!!

I think on the whole cow front is a damned if you do damned if you don’t scenario. I just read recently how terrible farming was for the ecosystem…particularly certain crops. There is no winning, until we are all back on the farm growing our own vegetables and slaughtering our own livestock I suppose. Having lived in Lubbock though, I can tell you how horrendous the southern winds were from Amarillo…pee-yu!! Haha. I don’t eat allot of beef, wasn’t really raised on it, so it’s heavy feeling makes me sick.

Thank you, they alreadu have a third location planned…also in Dallas. Recycling I don’t get too worked up about. Took a class on college saying recycling programs were in fact causing more damage than basic landfills. I’m so confused on it all honestly. I just try to do what I can on the tiny patch of earth on which I reside.

Solar energy, water conservation, tiny herb and veggie garden, and recycle as often as it occurs to me.

• crazyloveparent says:

Gaaaahhhhhh!!!!! Nooooooo!!!!! I feel like every time I learn something, the next minute I learn the exact opposite. Don’t eat beef it’s bad for the environment. Don’t eat farmed food, bad for the environment. Recycle! Actually, recycling is causing damage. It’s MADDENING! I agree, all we can do is the best we can do with the information we have at the moment. Move toward self sustainability I suppose….😜 yay for another treehouse opening! 😁

Haha I feel the same about diets. Recently as well. Eat spinach forniron…actually spinach doesn’t have substantial iron. Don’t eat eggs for your cholesterol…eggs don’t effect your arteries?!

I gave up. Haha

2. Chrissy says:

This is such an informative post. I’m glad that there are companies who are doing this now, especially with Trump (not the US, in my opinion) backing out of Paris Climate deal.

3. The Inner Circle says:

While I have done a few environmental projects in my day,I am not a active one of this time.
    I am not upset at withdrawing of Paris simply because it would be hypocritical to do so. Even after signing the agreement,the U.S. has allowed the North Dakota to be built and run,it continues to allow fracking,we have had several major spills that have gone unreported or under reported. There is still weak regulations and guidelines to offshore drilling.
    And the world has done nothing about the Fukishima nuclear plant that even today is still pumping life destroying radioactive water into the Pacific Ocean. The 2% doesn’t care about the planet,only profits.

4. sharonduerst says:

Treehouse sounds like a good company educating about products and healthy consumerism! I’m not an “environmentalist” but more and more I’m reducing, reusing, recycling, and smart buying to reduce packaging. Thanks for calling attention to a company going above the low bar norm.

5. lindahobden says:

Any company that cares for the environment gets the thumbs up from me and the Treehouse looks like a really lovely store to browse around. I like the sound of their outdoor area that has plants native to Texas for customers to purchase. I am not a “tree hugger” really but I have been on a local protest to stop nuclear waste being dumped in the river estuary where I live, I recycle my paper/card/plastics/clothes/tins/food ; and I use eco friendly household products & occasionally. shop organic & buy local produce.. I don’t have solar panels but my house is well insulated. 😊

6. sizzlesue15 says:

I’ve not heard of this company and not sure if they have hit Australia yet. Any company helping us to be more sustainable and take care of the environment is a winner in my book.
    Sue from Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond

7. Jacqueline says:

As someone who also writes about sustainable living Treehouse has definite appeal to me. I’m in Toronto. It’s uncertain if Treehouse will expand into Canada. If they do I’d love shop there 😊

8. Mandi says:

I’ve never heard of this place but it sounds amazing!

What a timely post with our President going against the wishes of Americans and pulling out of the Paris Agreement. In these times those of us who know science is real must be louder than ever.

9. Carol Cassara (@ccassara) says:

I don’t know why I didn’t realize your age group before now. But you know, I am glad to hear about Treehouse. New to me and really, the kind of company that I hope we see more of in the future. Esp in the US where, well, things are getting a bit, um, dicey.

10. Jennifer says:

Thanks for sharing this information. Being from CT, I wasn’t aware of this store. It’s interesting to note that three Texas Mayors have signed up to meet the Paris Accord agreements in their town – Houston is one of them. But my blue state of CT is not represented yet.

With oil being so environmentally rosky I think Texas has to work double time to keep a decent image. But honestly growing up there I feel their was a larger emphasis on organic and eco-friendly than anywhere else I’ve lived yet.

11. Lynn Thaler says:

I would not call myself an environmentalist, but I do try to to be eco friendly. Treehouse sounds like an awesome store and I would shop there. I especially like their commitment on educating the staff.